But in traveling the world, I know everyone loves their own country with all the various imperfections they each have. Our motto here is God Bless America. But you should be saying the same thing: GOD BLESS ________ (insert your country’s name.)
The Bible has much to say to Christians about what our attitudes should be towards our nations. And for all Christians we need to be passing this knowledge on to our children. Daily in our newspapers and media sources, our leaders and governments are under attack belittling our leaders and our established law and order. If we remain silent, many of our children’s teachers, friends, movies, and more will speak loud and clear that it’s OK to disrespect our country and its leaders. That’s not okay. Silence on our part is agreement.
TEACHABLE MOMENTS: That’s a popular term we have all heard. What it means is you take advantage of daily opportunities to speak out to your children on what you believe on certain things. For Americans, the July 4th holiday is a perfect time to teach your children what the Bible has to say about our nations and our leaders – the ones you like and the ones you don’t. Remember, when some of these scriptures were written, Israel was under the control of outside hateful, wicked, controlling, and murderous governments like Caesar Augustus, and the madman Nero.
Take time to talk about these scriptures this week. Write them out on sticky notes and paste them all over your house, in your children’s rooms, the bathroom mirrors, on the screens of the digital devices, and more. Bring them up and talk about them in these days of heated discussions that make all of our blood boil. Make a special effort this week when you pray at meal time to pray for your nation and its leaders at the same time.
Remember the lyrics that say “Teach your children well…..”
1) I Timothy 2:1-2 – I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people— for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness.
2) I Peter 2:17 – Show proper respect to everyone, love the family of believers, fear God, honor the emperor.
3) Romans 13:1 – Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God.
4) Jeremiah 29:7 – Also, seek the peace and prosperity of the city to which I have carried you into exile. Pray to the LORD for it, because if it prospers, you too will prosper.
5) II Chronicles 7:14 – if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land.
6) Psalms 2:10-11 – Therefore, you kings, be wise; be warned, you rulers of the earth. Serve the LORD with fear and celebrate his rule with trembling.
7) Proverbs 11:14 – For lack of guidance a nation falls, but victory is won through many advisers.
8) Proverbs 21:1 – The king’s heart is a stream of water in the hand of the LORD; he turns it wherever he will.
9) Job 12:23-25 – He makes nations great, and destroys them; he enlarges nations, and disperses them.
10) Proverbs 2:1-8 – My son, if you accept my words and store up my commands within you, 2) turning your ear to wisdom and applying your heart to understanding— 3) indeed, if you call out for insight and cry aloud for understanding, 4) and if you look for it as for silver and search for it as for hidden treasure, 5) then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God. 6) For the LORD gives wisdom; from his mouth come knowledge and understanding. 7) He holds success in store for the upright, he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless, 8) for he guards the course of the just and protects the way of his faithful ones.
May we be faithful, informed and thoughtful when praying and talking to others about our politics, and as we ask for God’s wisdom and righteousness to be evident in our nation’s policies and leaders.
Learn more about raising a child who prays: http://buff.ly/2uyvssW