I’m going to give you five ways that you can train your children to walk with you in the supernatural. Because if we start them when they are young, they will walk in His power all the days of their lives. Amen?
So full disclosure—I heard Kris Vollatin from Bethel ministry give these things, and I thought it was so good, I just wanted to pass them along.
How many times have you seen a child move in the supernatural in church? It’s crazy how many churches – and I’m talking Pentecostal, Charismatic churches– who do not expect kids to do anything in the realm of the supernatural. We want them to get saved, but after that we put them on hold until they become teenagers, when it’s almost too late.
Teach Them While They are Young
But if we don’t teach them while they young and still interested in the things of God, we’ll lose them. Because, by the time they are teenagers, they’re going to be interested in other things and be very distracted with the cares of life. it’s time that the Body of Christ begins to walk in the profound truth that the Kingdom belongs to children, too!
In our ministry, Kids in Ministry International, because our focus is on equipping boys and girls to walk in the supernatural power of God, we have testimonies galore about kids healing the sick, casting out devils, operating in the prophetic, giving words of knowledge, and the list goes on and on. If you follow me on Facebook, you will see these testimonies that I pass on frequently. Kids can and do operate in the supernatural when they are taught what to do and how to do it.
Can you imagine what the church, and the world, would be like if we taught all our children to hear God’s voice and be led by the spirit from their youngest days? Imagine how the kingdom could advance if children were equipped with tools to overcome the schemes of the enemy.
The same spirit of power that lives in you and me resides in our kids too! Children need to be equipped with salvation, the baptism in the Holy Spirit, and the gifts of the Spirit. They need to be taught how to pray and intercede and how to wield the Word of God like a sword. Why? Because it’s in childhood the enemy attacks us and tries to destroy our lives.
People like to say that kids don’t have a junior Holy Spirit. And that’s right. But do you know why? It’s because they don’t fight junior devils! They fight the same devils you and I do. So, they need to be equipped to walk in the power of God.
So, parents and children’s ministers, how do we do that?
Well, here’s those five supernatural things you can teach your children that I got from Kris. And we could really add many others, but we’ll just focus on these today.
Teach Them to Value Their Dreams
1. Teach them to value their dreams. I’m not talking about dreams of the heart here, although that’s also very important. What I mean is that children are very in-tune with the supernatural realm, and I know that most of them start off life as night dreamers.
Ask your children questions about their dreams and take them seriously. Teach them to write their dreams down, pray over them, and ask God to show them what they mean. When you teach them how to interpret their own dreams, you’ll be preparing them for a lifetime of hearing God in this unique way. If you don’t know to interpret dreams, get equipped and impart your knowledge to your children.
We in KIMI believe so much in the importance of teaching kids to value dreams that we have several books and curriculums on the topic. One of our graduates form the School of Supernatural Children’s ministry, Stacey Linsalata, does a wonderful job in her curriculum Encounters in the Night, and our first VBS curriculum called, “Dreaming with God.”
Expect Them to Hear from God
2. Expect them to hear from God! In other words, understand that children can learn how to hear God’s voice and be led by the Spirit! In fact, they are really good at it! If we want our kids to experience the reality of a relationship with Jesus for themselves, teaching them to recognize the voice of God is a great start!
As a parent, it’s the home that is very important. We can teach them the principles of hearing God’s voice in children’s church, but it’s in your everyday life at home that they need to practice and learn to how to do it. You as the parent can begin with small questions like, “If Jesus walked in the room right now, what would He say to that person?” By asking questions like this, you will teach them to not only hear from God, but also feel what God feels for his beloved kids.
Here again, we value this so much in Kids in Mministry that I wrote a 13 week curriculum on the topic that teaches everything the Bible says about how God speaks to us and leads us. In fact, many of the adults who use this curriculum tell us they learn as much as the kids do.
True story—i have had many parents tell me that once they teach their children how to hear God’s voice for themselves, half their parenting is already done for them! They police themselves because they have a real relationship with God.
Expose Them to Miracles
3. Expose them to miracles. When your family is going through hard times, don’t shelter them from it so much that they are not a part of the intercession and prayers over your situation. Teach them God is faithful, and no matter how hard things get, God will answer your prayers. Teach them to intercede in the Spirit, then watch the miracles happen. They will be as bold as you let them be. Be deliberate about sharing with them all the times god did miracles for your family over the years. Share these stories just like you would share stories of your ancestors and the lives they lived.
Include Them in Ministry
4. Include them in ministry. Teach them how to pray for the sick and needy. Take them with you when you minister on the streets, in safe areas of course, and teach them to lay hands on the sick. Take them with you to the hospital or the nursing homes to pray for the people and teach them to expect miracles to happen!
Invite Angels into Their Lives
5. Finally, invite angels into their lives. Matthew 18:10 it says, “See that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that their angels in heaven continually see the face of my father who is in heaven.” I believe that God has assigned angelic protection over children! Why is this important? Whether we like it or not, our children are going to be exposed to spiritual warfare in some way or another as they grow up. We should equip them with what they need to understand and overcome their battles.
We need to learn to know our children by the spirit, and not just by the flesh! They should be taught to use the gift of discerning or distinguishing of spirits (1 Corinthians 12:10). That’s one reason why it’s so important to guard them from movies and books about the occult and magic and witchcraft. Their discernment will be blurred, and it will be that much more difficult for them to tell what is of God, and what is not. I tell my leaders, if you want to have the power to cast out devils, you can’t be playing with them and entertaining yourself with them all the time!
So, there you have 5 great first steps to teaching your kids to walk in the supernatural.
- Teach them to value their dreams.
- Expect them to hear from God
- Expose them to miracles
- Include them in ministry
- invite angels into their lives
I have a video that goes right along with this teaching called “Kids Can Heal the Sick.” I share in that video testimonies of immediate healings in one of my services, where kids prayed for adults, and the adults came forward with their amazing testimonies. I also share to true story about a little boy in our ministry in Zambia who believed God and healed his brother of crippling bone cancer. I hope you check it out.
Get bold in your home and in your children’s ministries and start equipping these little guys and gals to walk in God’s supernatural power. And I’ll see you again soon.